YuMe Privacy Notice
Effective Date, Date Last Modified: August 1, 2007.
YuMe, Inc., (“YuMe”) values the privacy of our subscribers, customers, members, and others who visit and use www.YuMe.com and any other web sites or services owned or operated by YuMe (the “YuMe Services”) (collectively or individually, “Subscribers”).
NOTE TO KIDS: The YuMe Services are not for persons under the age of 13. If you are under 13 years of age, please visit another site – there are lots of other great web sites for you.
The Information YuMe Collects:
- Subscriber-provided Information: You may provide to YuMe what is generally called “personally identifiable” information (such as your name, email address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number, credit card number and billing information, etc.) if you purchase or download content or participate in other activities on the YuMe Services.
- “Cookies” Information: When you visit the YuMe Services, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer. YuMe uses both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the YuMe Services. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings.
- “Automatically Collected” Information: When you visit the YuMe Services or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser by using different types of technology, including “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This “automatically collected” information may include unique “device IDs” (similar to IP addresses), Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”), web browser type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the YuMe Services, the pages you view on our site, and the dates and times that you visit the YuMe Services.
The Way YuMe Uses Information:
- YuMe uses the information that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide to you all of the features and services found on the YuMe Services. We will use your email address, without further consent, for administrative purposes such as notifying you of major YuMe Services updates, for customer service purposes, to address copyright infringement issues, or to contact you regarding any content that you have purchased.
- YuMe uses all of the information that we collect to understand the usage trends and preferences of our Subscribers, to improve the way the YuMe Services work and look, and to create new features and functionality.
- YuMe uses “automatically collected” information and “cookies” information to: (a) remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the YuMe Services; (b) provide customized third-party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor the effectiveness of third-party marketing campaigns; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions, sweepstakes, and contests.
- YuMe will not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send promotional or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in.
When YuMe Discloses Information:
- YuMe does not share your personally identifiable information with other organizations for their marketing or promotional uses without your express consent.
- YuMe discloses aggregate user data (such as advertisement viewership data and advertisement viewership demographic data) to third-party clients and customers of YuMe.
- YuMe discloses automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information with interested third parties to assist them in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the YuMe Services.
- To provide web site hosting, maintenance and security, fulfill orders, offer certain functionality, improve our site, and create new site features, we may disclose Subscriber information to affiliated companies or other businesses or persons. We require that these parties process such information in compliance with this Privacy Notice, we authorize only a limited use of such information, and we require these parties to use appropriate confidentiality measures.
- YuMe may disclose Subscriber information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law) or respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena, or warrant. We may make such disclosures without providing Subscribers notice, in some cases.
- YuMe also reserves the right to disclose Subscriber information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; protect YuMe from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the YuMe Services; and to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of YuMe, our Subscribers, or others.
You may, of course, decline to share your personally-identifiable information with YuMe, in which case YuMe will not be able to provide to you the YuMe Services. If applicable, you may update, correct, or delete your member information and email subscription preferences at any time by mailing us at privacy@YuMe.com.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
Our Commitment to Data Security:
YuMe uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to YuMe, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, YuMe makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If YuMe learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. YuMe may post a notice on the YuMe Services if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach you should notify us at privacy@YuMe.com.
Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy:
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, YuMe does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information on the YuMe Services from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of the YuMe Services are directed to persons under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access THE YuMe Services at any time or in any manner. If YuMe learns that personally-identifiable information of persons less than 13-years-of-age has been collected on YuMe without verifiable parental consent, then YuMe will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
In the Event of Merger or Sale:
In the event that YuMe is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information we have collected from Subscribers as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
Changes and Updates to this Privacy Notice:
This Privacy Notice may be revised periodically without further notice to you and this will be reflected by the “last modified” notice below. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. In general, we only use your personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Notice in effect when we received that personal information. Your continued use of the YuMe Services constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Notice and any future revisions.
For revisions to this Privacy Notice that may be materially less restrictive on our use or disclosure of personal information you have provided to us, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you and obtain your consent before implementing such revisions with respect to such information.
YuMe Contact Information:
Please contact YuMe with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, your personal information, our third-party disclosure practices, or your consent choices at privacy@YuMe.com or by postal mail at 1204 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, CA 94063. We will respond to your inquiry within 30 days of its receipt.